Sunday, August 24, 2008

What happens next Mommy???

So, I'm pregnant, right? Sydney is very excited about this. She has, in the past, asked very specific questions as to how the baby gets into Mommy's tummy. We've discussed it thoroughly enough for a 4 year old...well, she was 3 at the time, but I probably approached it more at a 5 year old level. Not giving her specifics, but specific enough to satisfy her curiosity. So, the other day, she asks me how the baby gets OUT of my tummy. Ahhhh.... am I ready for this? I thought for about 10 seconds of how I should approach this, when it came to mind that Sydney is very bright and is actually probably ready for the real answer. SO, I told her. I gave her the real answer. She just looked at me with a little grimace/sideways smirk and a wrinkled nose and said (like she was a little disgusted)...."ohhhhh". Then she asked me how big the hole was that the baby came out of. I then had to explain that it's really small, but when the baby is about to be born, it gets big really fast. She asked if it hurt and I said, yes, but that it is worth it. She then gave me a hug and put her head on my tummy and said...."I'm so sorry that you have to get hurt Mommy, did I hurt you when I came out of your tummy?". It was so sweet! I hugged her and assured her that it didn't hurt Mommy that much because I had the doctor give me some really good medicine that took all the pain away. She was very glad about that. Then, she changed the subject, which I was glad for. I'm just waiting for her to go up to some pregnant, or larger, woman and tell her that she knows her baby is going to come out a hole in her privates.

10 comments:

Angie said...

How sweet is that. I guess Aidan being a boy really doesn't care.

Jessi said...

I've always been pretty strait-forward when my girls have asked me those questions and I'm always amazed at how the answers hardly phase them. The truth (explained delicately) is way less traumatic than having to wonder and imagine on your own the "in's and outs" of the situation. :)

I love that Sydney was so sensitive. She's such a sweetie.

sherbear said...

That is such a interesting conversation. Becca and I had that one awhile back. I told her pretty much the same thing you told Sydney...now becca does NOT want to get married nor does she want kids. lol
I told her she will most likely change her mind when she is older. LOL

I cannot wait to find out what you are having. You are finding out right???

Shayleen Lunt said...

Haha! Oh, you are so good Kate! I was really caught off guard when Olivia asked me that a few months back (because a friend of ours is pregnant) and I couldn't think of the best way to answer it. I just told her it comes out of our belly button! haha!! Now after reading your blog, I feel guilty for not giving Olivia the straight answer...maybe someday.

Sam Zavitz said...

A wonderful blog post, as always!

Brian's response when I read it to him was "Ahh... Nice." lol... MEN!!!

And, since I'm here... Happy Birthday! (again!)

Erin said...

happy late birthday. That post is too cute. when Bella asked me how babies get into tummies I said "they just do" and then changed the subject. Maybe I need to clearify.

Rachel Hudgins said...

Love that. Ethan was curious too and asked all kinds of questions, like what his scrotum is for, what's inside it. We had some talks. Then one day he fell on the corner of the counter hitting his private parts and after he calmed down he asked, "Mom, can I still make babies when I get bigger?" It was so cute. I love that my kids are so interested and ask ALL kinds of questions...even the hard ones.

Tiffany said...

Oh...the questions. Yikes - sometimes it seems so much more difficult as they get older.

eMiLy sLaUgH said...

That's a great story... Sydney is a great girl! A smart one too!

Andrea said...

That's great that she understood and internalized it - maybe it's cuz he's a boy, but I think Max didn't "get it" at all. Either that or he was just mortified and left the topic forever.