Monday, October 1, 2007

Memama



What a day I've had! I was going to spend time responding to Natalie's "tag", which I will do later...if I find time, but I thought I'd post about today. I actually got in bed last night before 11:00pm, so that was a great start to today, but around 9:00 my grandmother, "Memama" wasn't feeling to well and feeling very weak, so I helped her sit down and got her breakfast. I told her not to get up without my help, but when I went to check on Addyson I heard a loud crash, and sure enough, she had gotten up, passed out and hit the hardwood floor...hard. She wasn't sure what was going on, so I explained it to her and she said she couldn't move. I wasn't about to move her, so I called my Dad and then I called 911. My mom was playing tennis, so it was just me and the little girls home with her. Thank goodness we hadn't moved yet, or she would have fallen and been by herself for 3 hours. She passed out while I was talking to the 911 operator and kept coming in and out. My sweet neighbor came over and helped with the girls (she kept Addyson from crawling all over Memama and trying to pull her glasses off and bobby-pins out of her hair!) Then she went and got mom from her tennis match after the paramedics arrived. Miraculously, Memama didn't break anything, but her heart rate was only 30 bpm. They had to life-flight her to the hospital. Sydney was so curious about everything. She didn't understand why Memama (Syd calls her "Ma-Bear) fell down and why she wasn't talking or moving. But, our neighbor, Dawn, took her and Addyson outside to see the firetruck and ambulence, so that was very exciting for her. She was so good at "babysitting" Memama for me when it was just us at the house. What a big helper she turned out to be. Well, Memama is at the hospital and they have one more test to do before they decide whether or not to put a pace-maker in. She's 88 years old and any surgery they do on her will be traumatic on her I suspect. So, it's a waiting game. They still aren't able to raise her heart rate about 38 bpm and her blood pressure is sky high....I don't know much about medicine, but it seems odd to me to have high blood pressure and a low heart rate, but I don't know anything. My Mom and Dad have been with her since the helicopter took her to the hospital. It will be an interesting evening I'm sure. My poor parents. They are such good children to their parents. They looked after and housed my Dad's mom and now my Mom's mom. They certainly have a lot of patience and love!

1 comments:

Natalie said...

I love Memama! I hope she's okay and I agree that your parents are so great to care for her. love, nat